The library is not too difficult to navigate – after all, almost all of the books are on the 2nd floor! However, it can be confusing walking by the shelves and wondering where your particular book might be.
Here is a crash course in how to find a book in the library:
1. Look up the book on the library website using the search bar.
2. Locate the book in the search results. Check first to see if the book is Available. It will have a green check mark if it is Available and a red sign if it is Unavailable.
3. If your book is an ebook, click the link to access it online. If not, it will have a shelving location listed, like “Main Book Stacks” or “Main Reference.” Pay attention to the shelving location so that you go to the right area.
4. Locate the book’s call number. This is the specific order on the shelf where the book will be, in relation to all of the other books. An example is BS535 .L54 1987, which is the call number of The Literary Guide to the Bible.
*note: the call numbers are part of the Library of Congress system. View the basic graphic below for more info on that.*
5. Once you have the call number, write it down (on your phone’s notes or on a piece of paper) and take it up to the 2nd floor with you. If your book is actually in the Juvenile section, then take the call number to the Family Room on the 1st floor.
6. Using the call number, find the shelf that your book is on. If your book is in the BS535 section, then find the shelves that say “BS530-BS536,” for example.
7. Once the shelf has been located, look on the shelf for your specific book. The other books will be in numerical order (i.e. BS535.6 will come before BS535.7). Look at the call numbers on their spines to find them.
8. Once you’ve found your book, you can take it down to the Circulation desk or use a self-check machine to check out.
If you’re having trouble finding a book in the library, don’t hesitate to ask for help! Sometimes a book may have been misplaced, or perhaps you didn’t see that it’s actually in the Reference section instead of the Main Book Stacks. We are happy to help you find what you need!